Saturday, February 6, 2016

Nashville dudes.....



Bleak times in the 90's here. Well, for me. I was solo in Jones County and the only skateboard faggot in high school. It didn't take much to get stoked. I had nothing but old videos and old skate mags to keep it going. The level went up when this segment popped up on MTV Sports hosted by that Dan Cortese guy who later played Tony in that one Seinfeld episode and who's energy and excitement to make anything eXtreme led me and a couple high school buds to invent multiple eXtreme sports. The favorite was Hackie Sack where we split out over the parking lot and just kicked the shit out of it to each other yelling how eXtreme it was.
 The skating was good (to me) at the time and although I didn't know where the hell Nashville was, there were dudes who looked like me skating with other dudes. The part where they go find shit out of the junkyard and build ramps in the parking lot was excellent! As I can see now, it was probably staged and permitted but as a kid, I wanted that. Build your own shit. Make your own scene. Through the insane shots, uncomfortable speaking segments and trippy effects, MTV couldn't edit out the love and commitment these dudes had for skating.

No comments:

Post a Comment