Friday, February 22, 2013

My favorite.....


.....cover. I know there have been some standard epic ones that people run towards when asked the question of favorite photo or cover, but this one just has always stood out. I got it in highschool the day after I got ISS (In-School Suspension. Such a joke punishment. It's basically solitary confinement and all of your days work was given to you as soon as the first bell rung. It was perfect for me cause I felt that class moved to slow as it was and I didn't really have any friends I would miss by being in ISS instead of class.) and since that ISS shit was painfully boring, this was my saving grace for the two weeks. I would complete my in-class work and my homework by lunch. The last half of the day was excruciating. But, I would just look at the mag over and over everyday. I would highschool kid dream what would happen if I could meet Karma. Or if I would ever be able to pursue skating enough to even go to California. Karma was already one of my favorites before this mag came out, but I would just sit and memorize and stare. Stuck in my desk with 2 walls beside me (isolation purposes), my back to the room, facing a dull white/gray painted cinder block wall. I remember thinking "One day I'll meet him. I'll get him to sign this magazine."
.....When I rode for Consolidated, I met Karma. Kansas City. Freezing temps. Demo stuff. I was so blown away and had a long conversation about how nerdy and goofy and shit I was as a kid. How I was so stoked on that one cover, of all the rad photos and covers that he's had, and I really wish I could have gotten to my mom's house before leaving to find this magazine for him to sign. He said he would sign it for me one day. We laughed about it and carried on with the night. When I found this moving all my magazines from my mom's to our house. I saw this one and held it up to Liz and said "One day, I'll see Karma again. And When I do, he HAS to sign this fucking magazine cover." She probably just kept on doing what she was doing with an "Uh-huh" response.
...One day though....
...He's got an amazing thing riht chere.......

No comments:

Post a Comment